Grading Your Essential Oils

What Grade Is Your Essential Oil?  




I knew, like everything you buy, there are different grades, or levels of quality.  Essential oils are just the same.  Here is what I have learned...

Grade A - Therapeutic Grade.  Organic (although all levels can be called organic), low temperature                     distillation for quality control and highest grade of plant compounds for medicinal or                           therapeutic use.  Also good for cleaners, topical use, personal scents, and aromatherapy.

Grade B - Food Grade.  Possible toxins from trying to draw out the last little bit of essential oil from                   the plant.  Does not contain the therapeutic level of compounds as in A but still a high                         quality that you can use in foods for flavorings, cleaners, topically or diffused.

Grade C - Perfume Oils.  Solvents are used to get the oils from the plants.  The solvents are still in                      the oils.  Do not consume these oils.  They are for scent purposes.  Use these oils as a                          personal scents, or diffuse as aromatherapy.  Use in cleaners and other non-consumables.                      Not for internal use!

Grade D - Floral Water.  Smells good but there are no therapeutic compounds what-so-ever.  Use in                     your laundry, bath water, body spray, or anywhere you want to have a scent.  Very dilute                     so not even very good for diffusion (unless you want a subtle scent).

These are condensed versions of the grading.  I would not have enough room for all the information out there!  There are several places you can purchase these oils, brick and mortar, online, direct, and third party.  Do your research!

I am a distributor for Young Living Essential Oils (member ID if you are interested in ordering 1019988) but I do not use them exclusively.  I trust their quality use them for therapeutic and food flavoring as well as using topically.  If I just want to diffuse I will usually use anything I can find.  Aura Cacia, which I sell in my online store is great for diffusing and even laundry or cleaning products.  They tell you right on the bottle not for internal use, they still have a great scent.  I think, they would be placed in the Grade C category.  

There are a lot of blogs, YouTube videos and websites out there.  Lots of information on Essential oils, both good and bad.  You have to make up your own mind about them, what to use and not use and for what and which products.  I want you to be safe and learn from others mistakes and successes!  On that topic, here is a YouTube video I watched and got some good information on Essential Oils.   It is 36 minutes long but she has some great info!


With this information, PLEASE be sure you do your research on the quality of the oils you use when using them for any kind of therapy or food consumption.  I will try to put notices in the description of the oils.  But again, PLEASE don't use them blindly!

I will be doing more posts on Essential Oils and sharing recipes and websites where I find them.  If you have any that you love, please share them with me here or on my Facebook page!  I have some great info and recipes already on my Pinterest site!

Comments

Popular Posts